Byker Wall > 20602.01.12.tif
20602.01.12.tif 
 Chancel sculpture and fresco decoration Cormac s Chapell Rock of Cashel County Tipperary Eire 
 Keywords: The first church was founded here by Saint Declan in the 6th century The Rock was a stronghold of Brian Ború 926 to 1014 and subsequently the O Kearneys In 1127 King Bishop Cormac McCarthy built the Romanesque Chapel which is the earliest of its type in Ireland This was superseded in 1169 by Donal Mór O Brien King of Thomond s chapel built on to it s north side In 1171 Henry II received the homage of Donal O Brien and built a church which was also subsequently superseded by the now ruined 13th century cathedral which was set alight in 1495 by Gerald Earl of Kildare The town was plundered in 1647 by Lord Inchiquin and the cathedral s lead roof was removed in 1749 visitors people tourists looking at Ireland Irish ruins architecture stone building early ancient medieval old history historic religion religious Christian Christianity sacred place of worship God wall arch arched vault Norman chevron pattern incised sculpted heads mural blind arcading columns sandstone

© Leslie Garland Pictures
image reference:
20602.01.12.tif

start slideshow forward one image back one image

Photographer: Leslie Garland
Collection: Byker Wall
Filename:
20602.01.12.tif
Upload Date: - unknown -
Photo Size: 4.2 MB; 3662x4732 pixels
Preview:
  comp 449 x 580

Caption:

Chancel sculpture and fresco decoration Cormac s Chapell Rock of

Cashel County Tipperary Eire
Keywords: The first church was founded here by Saint Declan in the 6th century The Rock was a stronghold of Brian Ború 926 to 1014 and subsequently the O Kearneys In 1127 King Bishop Cormac McCarthy built the Romanesque Chapel which is the earliest of its type in Ireland This was superseded in 1169 by Donal Mór O Brien King of Thomond s chapel built on to it s north side In 1171 Henry II received the homage of Donal O Brien and built a church which was also subsequently superseded by the now ruined 13th century cathedral which was set alight in 1495 by Gerald Earl of Kildare The town was plundered in 1647 by Lord Inchiquin and the cathedral s lead roof was removed in 1749 visitors people tourists looking at Ireland Irish ruins architecture stone building early ancient medieval old history historic religion religious Christian Christianity sacred place of worship God wall arch arched vault Norman chevron pattern incised sculpted heads mural blind arcading columns sandstone