Byker Wall > 20602.01.04.tif
20602.01.04.tif 
 Rock of Cashel seen over Cashel town County Tipperary Eire 
 Keywords: The 30 metre high Rock itself is a fold of carboniferous limestone The first church was founded here by Saint Declan in the 6th century The Rock was a stronghold of Brian Ború 926 to 1014 and subsequently the O Kearneys In 1127 King Bishop Cormac McCarthy built the Romanesque Chapel which is the earliest of its type in Ireland This was superseded in 1169 by Donal Mór O Brien King of Thomond s chapel built on to it s north side In 1171 Henry II received the homage of Donal O Brien and built a church which was also subsequently superseded by the now ruined 13th century cathedral which was set alight in 1495 by Gerald Earl of Kildare The town was plundered in 1647 by Lord Inchiquin and the cathedral s lead roof was removed in 1749 location setting history historic scene fairy tale romantic spectacular Ireland Irish fortress fort citadel fortification castle bastion defensive position military ruins architecture stone building early ancient medieval old religion religious Christian Christianity sacred place of worship God hilltop cliff top high above looking down on walled wall tower

© Leslie Garland Pictures
image reference:
20602.01.04.tif

start slideshow forward one image back one image

Photographer: Leslie Garland
Collection: Byker Wall
Filename:
20602.01.04.tif
Upload Date: - unknown -
Photo Size: 3.4 MB; 4724x3664 pixels
Preview:
  comp 600 x 465

Caption:

Rock of Cashel seen over Cashel town County Tipperary Eire

Keywords: The 30 metre high Rock itself is a fold of carboniferous limestone The first church was founded here by Saint Declan in the 6th century The Rock was a stronghold of Brian Ború 926 to 1014 and subsequently the O Kearneys In 1127 King Bishop Cormac McCarthy built the Romanesque Chapel which is the earliest of its type in Ireland This was superseded in 1169 by Donal Mór O Brien King of Thomond s chapel built on to it s north side In 1171 Henry II received the homage of Donal O Brien and built a church which was also subsequently superseded by the now ruined 13th century cathedral which was set alight in 1495 by Gerald Earl of Kildare The town was plundered in 1647 by Lord Inchiquin and the cathedral s lead roof was removed in 1749 location setting history historic scene fairy tale romantic spectacular Ireland Irish fortress fort citadel fortification castle bastion defensive position military ruins architecture stone building early ancient medieval old religion religious Christian Christianity sacred place of worship God hilltop cliff top high above looking down on walled wall tower