Byker Wall > 20602.01.06.tif
20602.01.06.tif 
 Visitors ruined porch and nave of Cathedral at the Rock of Cashel County Tipperary Eire 
 Keywords: The first church was founded here by Saint Declan in the 6th century The Rock was a stronghold of Brian Ború 926 to 1014 and subsequently the O Kearneys In 1127 King Bishop Cormac McCarthy built the Romanesque Chapel which is the earliest of its type in Ireland This was superseded in 1169 by Donal Mór O Brien King of Thomond s chapel built on to it s north side In 1171 Henry II received the homage of Donal O Brien and built a church which was also subsequently superseded by the now ruined 13th century cathedral which was set alight in 1495 by Gerald Earl of Kildare The town was plundered in 1647 by Lord Inchiquin and the cathedral s lead roof was removed in 1749 A replica of the 12th century Cross of Saint Patrick can be seen on the right scene fairy tale history historic romantic spectacular Ireland Irish fortress fort citadel fortification castle bastion defensive position military ruins architecture stone building early ancient medieval old religion religious Christian Christianity sacred place of worship God hilltop cliff top high above walled wall tower location setting

© Leslie Garland Pictures
image reference:
20602.01.06.tif

start slideshow forward one image back one image

Photographer: Leslie Garland
Collection: Byker Wall
Filename:
20602.01.06.tif
Upload Date: - unknown -
Photo Size: 3.0 MB; 3669x4724 pixels
Preview:
  comp 450 x 580

Caption:

Visitors ruined porch and nave of Cathedral at the Rock

of Cashel County Tipperary Eire
Keywords: The first church was founded here by Saint Declan in the 6th century The Rock was a stronghold of Brian Ború 926 to 1014 and subsequently the O Kearneys In 1127 King Bishop Cormac McCarthy built the Romanesque Chapel which is the earliest of its type in Ireland This was superseded in 1169 by Donal Mór O Brien King of Thomond s chapel built on to it s north side In 1171 Henry II received the homage of Donal O Brien and built a church which was also subsequently superseded by the now ruined 13th century cathedral which was set alight in 1495 by Gerald Earl of Kildare The town was plundered in 1647 by Lord Inchiquin and the cathedral s lead roof was removed in 1749 A replica of the 12th century Cross of Saint Patrick can be seen on the right scene fairy tale history historic romantic spectacular Ireland Irish fortress fort citadel fortification castle bastion defensive position military ruins architecture stone building early ancient medieval old religion religious Christian Christianity sacred place of worship God hilltop cliff top high above walled wall tower location setting